Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER

Post subject: Account Migration..
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:15 pm 
The Groundkeeper

Not really sure what they doing at work, anyone explain?

At the moment software, office 2000 is stored locally on C: with a local exchange server containing all the accounts and files with a taped back up.

Tommorow there is going to be no IT access all day. MS Office is being upgraded from 2000 to 2003, but it is going to be remote and not installed locally. All the accounts, about 1400 of them and everything on the server is being moved to a central data hub, I suppose that means a data centre or sumat. We currently have access to C: drive but this won't be the case in the future for some reason?

Anyone else been through all this... is going to be mad next week I bet, or do these things happen transparently... :? Its errr NHS by the way...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:17 pm 
Humping a Super Model

At my college the network ran on nortell with win xp desktops and all applications were downloaded on an as needed basis. Wasn't too bad most of the time but if there was large amounts of network traffic word would take ages to load. It was a pain if you needed something on the network but I guess it was done to stop n00by kids breaking everything. We only had access to our network drives with no c:\, if the network was down you were borked.

Dont know about migrating that all in one day though. How much testing have they done?

Good luck with that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 am 
Decidedly uninterested

They are most likely migrating from profiles to policy based account settings via Active Directory in 2003. It means a lot fewer problems with user accounts at the client end.

Post subject: ugh
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:24 am 
that was a stupid comment btw

Quote:
At my college the network ran on nortell with win xp desktops and all applications were downloaded on an as needed basis. Wasn't too bad most of the time but if there was large amounts of network traffic word would take ages to load. It was a pain if you needed something on the network but I guess it was done to stop n00by kids breaking everything. We only had access to our network drives with no c:\, if the network was down you were borked.

i was like that at our college ( years ago )
zen desktop ftw

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:47 am 
an unsung hero!

i think i would make a back up of your emails .... just in case

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:57 pm 
The Groundkeeper

LeBeourfCurtaine wrote:
They are most likely migrating from profiles to policy based account settings via Active Directory in 2003. It means a lot fewer problems with user accounts at the client end.

lol errr I was with you up to profiles.. :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:17 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

Caspius=GCHQ= wrote:
LeBeourfCurtaine wrote:

lol errr I was with you up to profiles.. :lol:

I wouldn't worry, GenP will prolly put me right in a bit... :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:27 pm 
Saints ftw!!

lol - terminal services..... :twisted:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 pm 
The Groundkeeper

Well what a load of old tosspot...

Basically as I said we have moved from local PC to a centrally based server application setup. The software is PowerTerm WebConnect based on Windows server x64 and the hardware is based about 40 miles away on the N3 network. So far we've had two IT support guys in the office full time for two weeks softing out the bugs.

I'm sure in the long term it will be worth it but... You can't use the desktop, you create a file on the desktop and it appears 10 minutes later, Task manager is locked down so you can't even kill a crashed application, you have to shut down. Everything you do takes like 3 reboots when you install a printer or anything. Thats justs couple of things, its slow as hell as well, not having access to C: drive or any drive is just stupid. Especially as I deal with big files it takes ages to do anything. We will see what happens.......

Post subject: problems
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:25 am 
that was a stupid comment btw

i think all your problems are slow uplink in the internet - if the master server was local it be a diff story
there trying to do what we did at the uni 10 years ago to limit stupid users and create a "business footprint" over the pc`s etc

Post subject: Re: problems
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:13 pm 
The Groundkeeper

happyslappy wrote:
to limit stupid users and create a "business footprint" over the pc`s etc

I understand that but its getting so locked down its annoying.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:48 pm 
Humping a Super Model

There is absoluetly no business case if the workers cant do their job.

sucks mate :(

Post subject: Re: problems
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:41 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

happyslappy wrote:
i think all your problems are slow uplink in the internet - if the master server was local it be a diff story
there trying to do what we did at the uni 10 years ago to limit stupid users and create a "business footprint" over the pc`s etc

Slaps is spot on - it's taken BT more than 2 years of pissing about to get our N3 connection anywhere near usable (for listening t' internet radio, hehe) and it still has a way to go. We offered all sorts of routing information which BT discarded out of hand, resulting in a return to stone age internet speeds :roll:

As a strategic goal it makes sense to use thin clients for the majority if they're just doing mundane tasks - most of them are probably at the level where they're still trying to feed the mouse cheese, if not standing on their chairs screaming.... But that will take time & pain and should have had an opt-out for power users :?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:02 pm 
The Groundkeeper

Well we still having problems, printers disapearing till you reboot, printing large files is impossible they just disapear, you can't switch sticky keys off, the computers are more locked down than before so many smaller problems users could sort out themselves have now got to call IT, you can't drag and drop attachements to emails any more, recycle bin has been removed, desktop is still useless, make a shortcut and it appears 5 mins later, etec etc . IT calls are taking a minimum of 2 weeks before they get to you as well.

One day though it might actually be as decent a system as before.... :evil:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:21 pm 
Thai lady boy

Aaah nothing like a complete system change, before its had all the little problems wrinkled out.

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER