Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER

Post subject: Smart Dust
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:18 am 
Decidedly uninterested

BBC News Online: 'Smart dust' to explore planets

"Tiny "smart" devices that can be borne on the wind like dust particles could be carried in space probes to explore other planets, UK engineers say. The devices would consist of a computer chip covered by a plastic sheath that can change shape when a voltage is applied, enabling it to be steered. Dr John Barker, from the University of Glasgow, said the particles could use wireless networking to form swarms.

"We envisage that most of the particles can only talk to their nearest neighbours but a few can communicate at much longer distances. In our simulations, we have shown that a swarm of 50 dust particles can organise themselves into a star formation, even in turbulent wind." The ability to fly in formation would allow the processing of data to be spread, or "distributed" between all the chips, and a collective signal to be beamed back to a "mothership".

"We are still at an early stage, working on simulations and components," said Dr Barker. "We have a lot of obstacles to overcome before we are even ready to physically test our designs."

Many other applications have been proposed for smart dust. One idea is to use particles to gather information on battlefields. Another idea involves mixing the particles into concrete to internally monitor the health of buildings and bridges."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:59 am 
amazing stuff - fills me with fear and wonder in equal measure :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:49 pm 
I`m a tree

and you just know some Alien will inhale it and die. Then they will think its a bio weapon and we will all be erradicated :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

servers

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:03 pm 
BUMHOLE ENGINEER

Scary stuff tbh, getting more and more advanced.....and heres me thinking we wouldn't manage to invent things like this....

Kaldru=GCHQ= wrote:
and you just know some Alien will inhale it and die. Then they will think its a bio weapon and we will all be erradicated :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hehehe :lol:

Charlie....whats wrong charlie *performs hymlick manouver*

"Charlie noooooooooooooo"

*Loads gun* time to get those earthlings!

:lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:49 pm 
Thai lady boy

Cant help thinking of an Ian Banks book, where they have an assasin made from smart dust.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:26 pm 
Made in Taiwan

Sounds like 7 of 9s nano bots tbh! It's all very well saying we thinking of making these but really they won't, I mean I'm "thinking" of buying a DB9 but I won't. Can't be bothered to right now ya nah.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:25 pm 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

ohs noes, grey goo! :roll: :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:27 pm 
Thai lady boy

Gmar=GCHQ= wrote:
Sounds like 7 of 9s nano bots tbh! It's all very well saying we thinking of making these but really they won't, I mean I'm "thinking" of buying a DB9 but I won't. Can't be bothered to right now ya nah.

They will make something like this or try their hardest to though. The difference between this and you buying an Aston is 'cos I am guessing like me (unfortuantely for both of us) you dont happen to have a large wad of cash going spare , where as the commercial value to a company that cracks nanotechnology, which this is really an extension of is worth billions.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:18 am 
Bow down to the master

Tao=GCHQ= wrote:
Cant help thinking of an Ian Banks book, where they have an assasin made from smart dust.

I was just thinking of a program on TV I saw about a year ago concerning the future of weapons etc.

One of them was like this, a tiny device that can be inhaled or what have ye, and then triggered to kill someone at any given moment.

Thing is it would be almost imposible to stop...unless you lived off oxygen tanks all your life :roll:

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER