Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER

Post subject: Linux for newbs
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:23 pm 
Thai lady boy

Ok so where should I start looking for how to use Linux.

I tried installing ubuntu a while back, but got frustrated after trying to get something working, and finding out I didnt understand how to carry out the answers on the fourums as they seemed to assume you had at least some familarity with what your doing. I can figure out a few of the basic things like getting my NIc to work, but as for the rest the terminology stiumps me as much as the processes required sometimes. So anyone recommend a good site for someone starting out.

Also prob arguements gonna start here. :D

But what distro would you recommend? Any reasons why?

And whats the difference between the gnome and KDE desktop?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:32 pm 
BUMHOLE ENGINEER

http://forum.gamecommunity.co.uk:8080/v ... hp?t=38101

What your looking for?

Some good advise there I'd say. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:32 pm 
Who's ya Daddy???

Run VMWare on your computer, then you can test our various distro's. I like Ubuntu a lot, personally.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:05 pm 
Made in Taiwan

I agree with Bjorn about Ubuntu (though I'd chose kubuntu with KDE instead of ubuntu with Gnome). That simply means a different desktop environment.

When I started out I joined http://www.justlinux.com/. Those guys really know their stuff and if you explain you are a beginner they really know how to break it down. They are so determined to change the world they won't risk losing you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:24 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

gmar=GCHQ= wrote:
I agree with Bjorn about Ubuntu (though I'd chose kubuntu with KDE instead of ubuntu with Gnome). That simply means a different desktop environment.

When I started out I joined http://www.justlinux.com/. Those guys really know their stuff and if you explain you are a beginner they really know how to break it down. They are so determined to change the world they won't risk losing you.

Or if they aren't helping very well - just say something like "Sorry guys, I'm going back to Windows. Whilst it doesn't have help, at least I don't need a PHD to understand explanations when trying to do things"

I'm positive they'll suddenly double their efforts :twisted:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:30 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

I have Ubuntu installed on an old Pc and like the way it updates itself 8) What annoyed me was the way it hijacked the bootloader and wipe out access to my copy of FreeBSD on the same system :evil: On the other hand it installed first time round no trouble :) I find most Linux support sites require you to be so into that you can write the kernel from scratch, a major failing :?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:59 pm 
Thai lady boy

LeBeourfCurtaine wrote:
I find most Linux support sites require you to be so into that you can write the kernel from scratch, a major failing :?

That was exactly my problem. I spent so much time trying to read up on the process and terminology of the support, to actually try and get twin monitors to work that in the end I just thought I cant be bothered.

Thanks for the help though all.

Just downloading Kubuntu and Ubuntu at the momnet, be ready for many questions :twisted:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:23 am 
Woah, don't need to download both by any means. Seriously, they are the same distribution with a different desktop environment.

If you have an ubuntu cd you can install "kubuntu" by :

Code:
sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

and vice versa, you then get to play with the ability to have either desktop available to you (I personally use xfce, so in ubuntu the easiest way to get xfce is xubuntu-desktop)

Ubuntu is a very good start out distro, it can do a lot of powerful things but is also generally not too complex.

I also run debian (which ubuntu is based on) for my server, since it is exceedingly stable and pretty much bulletproof.

What particular things do you want to do with your linux, as it is not necessarily the tool you need, but definitely worth a look.

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER