Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:47 pm 
Thai lady boy

From wiki.

The longest range recorded for sniper kill is 2,430 metres (2,657 yd), accomplished by a Canadian sniper, Corporal Rob Furlong, during the invasion of Afghanistan, using a .50 caliber BMG (12.7 mm) McMillan TAC-50 bolt-action rifle. This meant that the bullet had a flight time of ≈ 4.5 seconds, and a drop of ≈ 70 meters (230 ft)

By contrast, much of the US/Coalition urban sniping in support of operations in Iraq is at much shorter ranges, although in one notable incident on April 3, 2003, Corporals Matt and Sam Hughes, a two-man sniper team of the Royal Marines, armed with L96 sniper rifles each killed targets at a range of about 860 metres (941 yd) with shots that, due to strong wind, had to be “fire[d] exactly 17 meters (56 ft) to the left of the target for the bullet to bend in the wind.”[4]

Post subject: hit
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:42 am 
that was a stupid comment btw

recently the austalians hit a target ( cant remember 6miles or 6k ) away bullseye with a barret
recently the british armys new barret like snipor also pissed all over the barret

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:56 am 
Yarrr ye dogs

Tjolbi=GCHQ= wrote:
Grey Wolf=GCHQ= wrote:
The whole point of Metal Gear was them putting a nuclear warhead in one of those slugs, if they could actually do that it's a little scary. Being able to deliver a nuclear payload from 200 miles within a couple of minutes that is untrackable and impossible to stop. I'm hoping that part is science fiction :?

if that won't work, they'll find another way ;) :roll:

Chips=GCHQ= wrote:
220 miles is impressive, but missiles go further - and it'd come under attack before it could fire surely?

That's the one of the plusses of a railgun, it's untrackable. Missiles shoot flames out of the back of it's ass, that's how they're tracked. But with Railguns the projectile doesn't exist on radar, there's nothing to give it away.

Missiles take much longer, a few more minutes for sure, they can also be counter attacked and they're bloody expensive.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:27 am 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

Grey Wolf=GCHQ= wrote:
Tjolbi=GCHQ= wrote:
Grey Wolf=GCHQ= wrote:
The whole point of Metal Gear was them putting a nuclear warhead in one of those slugs, if they could actually do that it's a little scary. Being able to deliver a nuclear payload from 200 miles within a couple of minutes that is untrackable and impossible to stop. I'm hoping that part is science fiction :?

Chips=GCHQ= wrote:
220 miles is impressive, but missiles go further - and it'd come under attack before it could fire surely?

That's the one of the plusses of a railgun, it's untrackable. Missiles shoot flames out of the back of it's ass, that's how they're tracked. But with Railguns the projectile doesn't exist on radar, there's nothing to give it away.

Missiles take much longer, a few more minutes for sure, they can also be counter attacked and they're bloody expensive.

Ya'll mis-understood what i meant... to fire it 220 miles, it needs to be mounted on something within 220 miles. If it requires a HUGE battleship with nuclear power, it's 220 miles from the target when it fires.

You may not track the warhead due to it's velocity... any navy worth their salt would have been tracking the ship for hundreds of miles before it can fire... so who needs to track the warhead? Shoot the fricken ship it's mounted on :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:58 am 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

hmmm...I hadn't actually realised how chronically short 220 miles actually is....given the weapons bad range and appalling hypothesised accuracy, I hereby declare this weapon useless.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 pm 
Thai lady boy

Yeah 220 miles isnt much really, considering some air to air missles on things like tomcats have a range of about 100 odd miles.
But then again in the article its just a baby gun compared with the railgun they want to build,
Course other interesting actions would be if you based it in orbit, or on the moon, then its a dead cheap kinetic weapon.
Or if you could punt a shell up high enough into a ballistic orbit/ trajectory and let the world turn under it as it drops, you'd get hell of a range then, you could even set them off at different trajectories, and speeds, and have a whole bunch of them drop down at the same time on the same point.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:53 pm 
Yarrr ye dogs

Chips=GCHQ= wrote:
Grey Wolf=GCHQ= wrote:
Tjolbi=GCHQ= wrote:
Grey Wolf=GCHQ= wrote:

Chips=GCHQ= wrote:

Ya'll mis-understood what i meant... to fire it 220 miles, it needs to be mounted on something within 220 miles. If it requires a HUGE battleship with nuclear power, it's 220 miles from the target when it fires.

You may not track the warhead due to it's velocity... any navy worth their salt would have been tracking the ship for hundreds of miles before it can fire... so who needs to track the warhead? Shoot the fricken ship it's mounted on :lol:

But what if it's on a submarine!? :lol:

Oh and elbow.
Quote:
Also, by firing at higher velocities railguns have greater range, less bullet drop and less wind drift, bypassing the inherent cost and physical limitations of conventional firearms

Quote:
And because of their high velocities, rail gun missiles would be less susceptible to bullet drop and wind shift than current artillery shells. Course correction would be important, but all missiles fired from rail gun artillery would be guided by satellite.

Also other proposed uses for Railfuns are as a defence weapon, shooting missiles out of the sky which would just be like clay pigeon shooting with the difference in speeds.

Railguns are also being thought of as propelling rockets into space without the needed rocket part.
Another application scientists are thinking of is firing two Railguns loaded with fusible material at each other to create nuclear fusion.

Railguns could also be miniturised into infantry usable automatic weapons. A Railgun with a scope attached could snipe people through walls and probably make them explode. Just point and shoot.
Reloading would be quicker too as there is no spent shells to eject first, shoot a pellet and another one goes right in there.

Far from useless I'd say.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:49 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

If they want to use a rail gun for space missions - whatever they try to launch will be obliterated... literally. 0 -> Mach 7+ in the barrel length is too much for delicate scientific equipment!

Since they can make railguns no problem - and have been able to for a while (come on, they don't attempt to make their first railgun be one that can lob 2 tons of metal 220 miles and requires a nuclear power station to get it going!) I would say it's not new technology. Currently they're just seeing how far it goes - and i'd say the reason for that is because missiles can be shot down with lasers.. but lasers on big metal slugs won't exactly do much :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:26 pm 
Thai lady boy

Railguns for shooting missile, might not be that great, if its anti-shipping ones assuming it mounted on some sort of boat I thought there biggest problem was aquirring the target to shoot at.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:58 pm 
Yarrr ye dogs

Tao=GCHQ= wrote:
Railguns for shooting missile, might not be that great, if its anti-shipping ones assuming it mounted on some sort of boat I thought there biggest problem was aquirring the target to shoot at.

Laser guided?

It is just a big mounted gun.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:03 pm 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

Grey Wolf=GCHQ= wrote:
But what if it's on a submarine!? :lol:

the barrel would get too wet (but also the gun would have to be massive it were to have enough bueffering to stop the submarine spinning around when it fired)

Quote:

Oh and elbow.
Quote:
Also, by firing at higher velocities railguns have greater range, less bullet drop and less wind drift, bypassing the inherent cost and physical limitations of conventional firearms

Quote:
And because of their high velocities, rail gun missiles would be less susceptible to bullet drop and wind shift than current artillery shells. Course correction would be important, but all missiles fired from rail gun artillery would be guided by satellite.

Guided by satellite? then its not just a lump of metal.

bullet drop? it doesn't matter how fast its going (because its a lump of metal, no lift), if its in the air for 2.5 minutes its going to drop quite a distance

wind drift? again, depends on distance, over 2.5 minutes its going to be a lot

Quote:
Also other proposed uses for Railfuns are as a defence weapon, shooting missiles out of the sky which would just be like clay pigeon shooting with the difference in speeds.

its a fair point - its useless as a long range offensive weapon still.

Quote:
Railguns are also being thought of as propelling rockets into space without the needed rocket part.

see above - satellites = far too delicate

Quote:
Another application scientists are thinking of is firing two Railguns loaded with fusible material at each other to create nuclear fusion.

remind me to be several hundred miles away when they do that please :)

Quote:
Railguns could also be miniturised into infantry usable automatic weapons. A Railgun with a scope attached could snipe people through walls and probably make them explode. Just point and shoot.
Reloading would be quicker too as there is no spent shells to eject first, shoot a pellet and another one goes right in there.

and what happenes when the battery runs out?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:10 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

Arthur C Clarke wrote about railguns being used on the moon to send cargo into orbit years ago 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:18 pm 
Thai lady boy

Grey Wolf=GCHQ= wrote:
Tao=GCHQ= wrote:

Laser guided?

It is just a big mounted gun.

Yeah but seem to remember the goalkeeper system on ships doesnt work that well, thought you might encounter the same problems, admittedly it flies faster, and has a longer range.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:20 pm 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

LeBeourfCurtaine wrote:
Arthur C Clarke wrote about railguns being used on the moon to send cargo into orbit years ago 8)

a rail gun could not be used as a primary source of power for satellites, for obvious reasons, but as a launching method they could be quite useful to reduce the enormous cost, but only really on the moon. I don't have the exact figures again, but the burn time on a rocket is significantly longer than the amount of time you'd be able to keep an object in a railgun (vertically at least).

you could try and combine a rail gun and the space elevator.... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:27 pm 
V is for Vociferate

Quote:

Sort of like MGS:2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER