Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER

Post subject: Mac not as secure anymore
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:57 am 
Bow down to the master

http://www.f-secure.com/2007/2

Well, such a shame. But it had to happen.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:46 pm 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

really?

the only reference to mac security on there was about trojans, which don't count because they rely on the users stupidity rather than the actual OS.

elbow - your new resident mac fanboy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:51 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

http://projects.info-pull.com/moab/

That was the "month of bugs" they highlighted some time back - hopefully Apple had fixed them all up :)

Naturallah, they re-highlighted one that was donkeys years old and still not fixed.

ALL O/S systems have bug and exploits in them, it's the nature of the beast :) I think people like highlighting the apple simply because their policy was always "Windows sucks on security, we're so much better" - to which the response was "No, you're not perfect either - just such a small user base that it's not worthwhile".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:59 pm 
Super User

The biggest problem is... alot of people are turning to Mac now because they like the candy. So its going to get alot less secure anyway... Why is Linux pretty secure? Because the vast majority use Windows... so why bother trying to create something for a minority when you could design and deploy something on the majority.

It seems that Mac is becoming more popular than the average PC. :evil:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:10 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

I think the intel architecture is a big help for the macs and that's for sure.
People who would never buy a mac before due to it being limited to... just a mac and it's associated software, will now buy a mac because it looks nice/has the apple brand look and feel and they can run their windows stuff on it too!

With dual boot they can obviously keep their known windows, and then explore into the Mac OS as well. Shrewd idea - especially if it can be found to be better ;) People get to try without risk, they can still run windows... and use the computer, but maybe they'll be converted to a mac in the long run :D

I personally don't give a monkeys about either - they're both big corps with a huge marketing strat and plenty of emphasis upon how things look above all else (as people are easily impressed!).
The good thing is they're breeding competition. Without opposition, what sort of OS would we have? They're both trying to innovate in different ways (or similar) to make sure they're the most attractive choice. Surely this is good for the consumer :)

I do sometimes just wish they'd both grow up and stop pointing fingers at each other and laughing / whining - reminds me of a playground :/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:19 pm 
Chips=GCHQ= wrote:
The good thing is they're breeding competition. Without opposition, what sort of OS would we have? They're both trying to innovate in different ways (or similar) to make sure they're the most attractive choice. Surely this is good for the consumer :)

I do sometimes just wish they'd both grow up and stop pointing fingers at each other and laughing / whining - reminds me of a playground :/

/innitted. What's a Mac ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:13 pm 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

Simon098 wrote:
Why is Linux pretty secure? Because the vast majority use Windows...

actually its because its written better, and the users tend not to be as stupid :D :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:04 pm 
Bow down to the master

elbow=GCHQ= wrote:
Simon098 wrote:
Why is Linux pretty secure? Because the vast majority use Windows...

actually its because its written better, and the users tend not to be as stupid :D :P

Perfect answer :)

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER