Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER

Post subject: Blu-ray coming out on top?
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:11 pm 
The Groundkeeper

Looks like HD DVD is going to be past history by the end of this year...

Quote:
"Toshiba and Microsoft may regret not having invested in the content side of things before starting this phoney war, which I'm glad is now drawing to a conclusion. Only Paramount and Universal are left with any realistic support for HD DVD - every other major is now on board with Blu-Ray.

It will be interesting to see what announcements are made at CES next week - more pro Blu-Ray announcements is my expectation. And I very much doubt we'll be seeing the speculated "360 with built-in HD-DVD drive" announced - if it is announced I'll be forced to laugh at Microsoft in another of their Zune-moments. :)

Existing HD DVD owners will be looked after by Toshiba going forward. I'm pretty sure Toshiba will bundle legacy HD DVD support in their future Blu-Ray spinners in order to soften the blow of this eventual loss."

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/05/warner_bros_blu_ray_exclusive/comments/

Post subject: Re: Blu-ray coming out on top?
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:57 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

Caspius=GCHQ= wrote:
Looks like HD DVD is going to be past history by the end of this year...

Quote:
"Toshiba and Microsoft may regret not having invested in the content side of things before starting this phoney war, which I'm glad is now drawing to a conclusion. Only Paramount and Universal are left with any realistic support for HD DVD - every other major is now on board with Blu-Ray.

It will be interesting to see what announcements are made at CES next week - more pro Blu-Ray announcements is my expectation. And I very much doubt we'll be seeing the speculated "360 with built-in HD-DVD drive" announced - if it is announced I'll be forced to laugh at Microsoft in another of their Zune-moments. :)

Existing HD DVD owners will be looked after by Toshiba going forward. I'm pretty sure Toshiba will bundle legacy HD DVD support in their future Blu-Ray spinners in order to soften the blow of this eventual loss."

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/05/warner_bros_blu_ray_exclusive/comments/

Pfft, I imagine they'll both be redundant in the next 5 years anyway. Flash memory, getting bigger and bigger... and cheaper and cheaper... and requires much smaller interface, much smaller overall, and is easier to transport.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:22 pm 
In youz forumz bein youz Pepsiz

yeah but if i've learnt one thing about flash its that it doesnt spin. And in removable storage terms, If it doesnt spin, it doesnt win

That comment was silly but i just wanted to say If it doesnt spin, it doesnt win

Diablo-X =GCHQ= wrote:
you need to improve your jokes, making them funny is crucial,

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:22 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

Aye, read about that last night on DailyTech

They are both redundant as holographic storage is already in use:

"The first out the gate appears to be InPhase technology, who announced in February that its 300GB holographic discs have begun shipping to various customers including Turner Broadcasting, Lockheed Martin and the US Geological Survey. 1.6TB discs are slated for later this year, but will be incompatible with the existing write drives."

DailyTech: ...Holographic Storage...

Flash memory has a finite number of read/writes before it dies, so wouldn't be a viable long term storage medium :| Michael Bay is probably right about MS trying to kill off both HD formats in favour of downloads in the long term, but the infrastructure isn't in place yet to make it viable.

Regardless, as a mate was saying today in terms of Joe Public; "Nobody cares if one format holds 200GB, they just like round shiny discs in multi-disc packages."

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:42 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

LeBeourfCurtaine wrote:
Flash memory has a finite number of read/writes before it dies, so wouldn't be a viable long term storage medium

We're talking about DVD type disks here...

Quote:
Flash memory has a write endurance limit. This limit is the number of times the flash memory cell can be written until it can not be restored to its initial condition. The industry refers to this as the erase cycles. The endurance is rated between 10,000 and 100,000 erase cycles for different types flash memories.

You use one of those DVD disks 10,000-100,000 times! :lol: Let alone re-write on them :o

Now if this is access times...

However, I always thought flash memory isn't as reliable a long term storage due to other factors - namely being sat locked away for 5 years may not be the best practice. DVD's (if well kept) shouldn't have a problem. However, can't be arsed to go find out where I read about that once, and may be wrong :D

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:18 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

HD-DVD is now dead!

The Register: Paramount poised to drop HD DVD

"According to the Financial Times, in a story that broke only a few hours ago, Paramount is understood to have a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp that would allow it to switch sides in the event of Warner backing Blu-ray.

...and speculation is rife that an announcement at CES by Bill Gates unveiling an Ultimate Xbox 360 with a built-in HD DVD player was cancelled at the last minute following the move by Warner."

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:02 pm 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

sucks to be toshiba :)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:13 pm 
Bow down to the master

i guess sony are really pushing it atm, as everything else they did failed

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:20 pm 
Made in Taiwan

Well hows about that then. Um, yeah.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:00 am 
Humping a Super Model

Personally i'd like bluray to come out on top, but then i do own a ps3 so i may be semi-biased.
But on the sales of hardware side of things, i'd imagine it being much easier for joe bloggs to justify buying an hd player if he can convince the missus it's for the kids 8)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:11 am 
Thai lady boy

Good link to a youtuibe posting on reg hardware at the moment, but language in it would make this thread 16+.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:18 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

Downfall of HD-DVD

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=friS4OOcdgQ[/youtube]

:twisted:

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:36 pm 
The Groundkeeper

More News here...

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/01/19/nielsen-sales-at-85-blu-ray-and-15-hd-dvd-for-last-week

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:41 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

.....and here: http://www.dailytech.com/HighDef+Sales+Tip+Towards+Bluray+Disc+Following+Warner+Announcement/article10385.htm

.....and here: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/21/hd_dvd_sales_slump/

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:58 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

I think this proves one thing for sure...

Whoever wins has sod all to do with the companies backing the format.

It has everything to do with the media :D The media make it a big thing, format won etc - and immediately it's having an impact upon sales.

One thing I did find interesting, and a bit disappointing, from all this.

Sony's Blu Ray will continue that archaic and annoying "region format" crap.
At least the HD-DVD, even if it sucked in comparison on amount of storage, that was one good thing - it'd been the end of region format (according to a website I read a comparison about the two formats upon - whether it's true? Just trusting it is :P).

I do wonder if there was more - like Sonys disk has a very thin layer, requiring special new machinery to press disks... the ol HD-DVD was same as existing DVD's... so pirates wouldn't need any new technology to press the disks :lol:
There was an article about it all somewhere :P

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER