Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER

Post subject: anyone anser this please ?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:29 am 
that was a stupid comment btw

What's the difference between a switch, router and multi-layer switch? (Pat's used to be

* Net masks: How many USEABLE addresses are available in a /27 network?
* Spanning Tree: What is it, why would you use it and what are the potential problems it can cause?
* Dynamic Routing: What is it, why would you use it? Reference interior protocols and exterior - very different.
* VLANs: What are they, why are they important in the enterprise. Does UoM have a scalable implementation (answer - No :-) )

* What's the difference between UDP and TCP (with examples)?
* What's the one thing you'd always expect to find in a routing table?
* What's the difference between an ACL on a switch/router and a firewall?
* What are metrics used for?

Post subject: Re: anyone anser this please ?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:58 am 
Humping a Super Model

Well i can understand all the words that you have used. But the seemingly random order in which you have used them i'm afraid quite frankly baffles me.
If you were to use the words in a sensible order such as "would you like a bag of chips?" then we might start to get somewhere.
Just a thought for future posts ;)

:p

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:38 am 
roadkill & antique sherrif's badge

Quote:
How many USEABLE addresses are available in a /27 network?

Quote:
Spanning Tree: What is it
a tree used for spanning rivers
Quote:
what are the potential problems it can cause?
the tree could break & you might get wet

Quote:
Dynamic Routing: What is it

Routing really fast

Quote:
VLANs: What are they

people of a nasty nature (that was txt talk right :thumbr: )

Quote:
why are they important in the enterprise

Star trek would be crap without them

Quote:
What's the one thing you'd always expect to find in a routing table?

a router :roll:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:35 am 
Saints ftw!!

yes :twisted:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:43 am 
The Groundkeeper

Well IU can answer two.... :)

* Spanning Tree: What is it, why would you use it and what are the potential problems it can cause?Basically you’d use it when you want multiple redundancies across a network; if one connection breaks the data can find another way to or from its destination. The downside is the cost can be high (How many routers the message must go through to reach the recipient and the time to route), although with correct programming of routing tables this can be reduced.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:23 pm 
Made in Taiwan

Networking is not really my thang, but I did know the difference between UDP and TCP... but I forgot them sorry. Um are there must be books on the subject which would be more accurate than the short rambilngs of us lot. um yeah.

ooh just remembered a switch can forward data to where it thinks the destination address is but a router can translate address between public and private (NAT).

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:28 pm 
Bow down to the master

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Alex :thumbl:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:37 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

Off the top of my head (...and I don't claim to be any sort of an expert, or even right):

What's the difference between a switch, router and multi-layer switch? (Pat's used to be
A switch basically switches packets around the network from source to destination (or the next link in the chain), a router passes and receives packets outside of [color=#FF8000]the local network and I think the multi-layer switch can pass packets between more than one TCP-IP layer, for (a bad) example, transport - application layer :?

Only a true g33k would know :twisted:
* Spanning Tree: What is it, why would you use it and what are the potential problems it can cause?
In addition to what Casp said - :lol: - I know from observation that if you balls up the setup of one, the consequences are dire :|
* Dynamic Routing: What is it, why would you use it? Reference interior protocols and exterior - very different.
I would guess that if you have a number of networking nodes that are up and down more often than Kath's frying pan, then you need some way of routing around the missing nodes. If you have static routes with missing nodes you going to go nowhere fast. This may not be an issue on a LAN where you can control the availability fairly well, but it most certainly will be on the internet (Torrents are a good example, with peers - home PCs - being switched on and off a lot).
* VLANs: What are they, why are they important in the enterprise. Does UoM have a scalable implementation (answer - No :-) )
Virtual Local Area Networks, let you in effect create logically seperate networks over the same physical cabling, very useful from preventing all the available network bandwidth being hogged by one application, for example, restricting medical images or videoconferencing data to it's own dedicated share of the bandwidth. No idea what UoM is :lol:

Um, Universal Datagram Protocol(?) and Transmission Control Protocol - rules that govern how data packets are passed around a network, be it local or the internet. I think TCP has a higher resilience compared to UDP...
The address of the router it's held upon...?
I think an Access Control List on a firewall will refuse any packets from a source that isn't defined as allowed, whereas a switch/router might pass them on to the next network node...?
Metrics allow you to prioritise data traffic, 1 being the highest, 2 the next and so on. The lower the number, the fewer the network nodes to the ultimate destination are allowed compared to the other metrics, but not in a literal sense (not 1 step only for a metric of 1). As I understand it, a metric of 1 on a firewall will require the data to be sent on the most direct (shortest) route to the ultimate destination

Well, I hope I've got at least one right :lol:

gmar=GCHQ= wrote:
Um are there must be books on the subject which would be more accurate than the short rambilngs of us lot. um yeah.

(It's a test :wink: )

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:56 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

UDP doesn't have any specific reliance upon order of packet arrival, or that they must even arrive - so data may be lost during transmission. Not important, as it's all about time isn't it? Think examples of this are MMO's and video... (receiver doesn't respond - although I can't actually remember!)

TCP - not only are packets in order, but if a packet is corrupted or doesn't arrive, it will be re-sent as well. Example - erm... general internet traffic i'd guess, since they call it TCP/IP :lol: Email? (Receive will notify of packets received... so missing can be re-sent. As before, can't actually remember - just guessing off the top of me head :D).

That's off the top of my head, been a while since I read about it - we covered it, but a year ago... and I wasn't listening properly :P Quick revision would undoubtedly help.

Think that's the lowest score I've got in a test, least I beat General Public though :P

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:35 pm 
Saints ftw!!

Chips=GCHQ= wrote:
Think that's the lowest score I've got in a test, least I beat General Public though :P

lol - though I only dicovered the other day Windows uses routing metrics to decide which interface to use, wireless or LAN if they are both connected to the same network :P

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:05 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

Mark my answers goddam you! :twisted:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:37 pm 
PFY wannabe

happyslappy wrote:
What's the difference between a switch, router and multi-layer switch?

A switch sits on one network passing TCP traffic between diffrnet ports without broadcasting it, a router sits across two or more networks passing TCP traffic between it, multi-layer switches can priorities traffic at different levels on the OSI model so TCP and application level (more like QOS packet inspection features)

happyslappy wrote:

Theres 32 IP's but only 30 useable (one for broadcast traffic and one for router)

happyslappy wrote:

Already dealt with above

happyslappy wrote:

The opposite of dynamic routing is static routing, which is great as no routing processing needs to be done, however if one of the devices on your static route goes titsup, your buggered, dynamic routing looks at where you want to go with your packet and automatically delivers it.

Interior = your network, protocols used are OSPF, RIP, IGP
Exterior = from your network to another network, protocol used is BGP

happyslappy wrote:

Because they allow flexibility for groups of users to work anywhere or even individual users to work from home, but connected to network resources (like shares, printers and voip) as if they were in the office.. If UoM is university of manchester then the question is answered by do you have home users on vlans already, then the answer is no, but then again its not hard to tap a vlan on the end of your network.

happyslappy wrote:

TCP and UDP are data transmission protocols, TCP sends a packet, recieves an acknowledgment packet, then sends the next packet etc, If an acknowledgement packet isnt recieved then the packet is sent again. UDP sends packet but it dosent care if theyre recieved or not.

A good example of an essential protocol over UDP is DNS,packets are requested but the DNS server dosent have time to arse about checking if packets are recieved or not.

I would venture that as UDP is lightweight but unreliable its probably pretty good for lowfi streaming, whereas TCP is heavyweight, but totally reliable it would be used for more essential services.

happyslappy wrote:

The default route. (used for when no other route is already known by the router).

happyslappy wrote:

Its a ridiculous question, the line between switches, routers and firewalls for ACL's is difficult to define. I would say that in the main the switch/router combo looks specifically at network traffic alone, usually without a great deal of information logging. Firewalls can work on user basis and provide a greater, more accessible amount of information about whos going where.

happyslappy wrote:

They are used to measure the speed and quality that your data is transferred at by analysing bandwidth and latency figures.

Hope the above helps mate...

"I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself...."

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:29 pm 
A EWES dream sex machine

i will settle for salt and vinegar with my large bag of chips.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:33 pm 
that was a stupid comment btw

cheers all and very helpfull ( well most :P ), arma got most right although on a /27 is a trick question

base address and broadcast address, default gateway not always needed if using a small land segment

the acl question - a firewall has a session table so your able to do far more ie - spot port scan / ip scan etc

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER