Post subject: So Vista works now?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 am 
Bow down to the master

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17261/1103/1/1/

I really wish it were true... but it ain't

Post subject: Re: So Vista works now?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:59 am 
Bow down to the master

Can someone please summarise in a few short sentences why vista is poo? I've never used or even seen it but god knows everyone seems to hate it.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:14 pm 
Made in Taiwan

Well I have been using Vista for over a year and still like it. I can't see what all the fuss is about. It only a resource hog in the same way that Windows 95 was compared to Windows 3.1. Go ahead and use Windows 3.1 if you want. :smile: Seriously get decent hardware and it works quickly and smoothly.

I have 4GB and 64bit and even Windows + CSS uses 2.5GB of RAM so getting 4GB is a really good idea, anyone with less that that are probably the ones moaning about how slow it is.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:53 pm 
Bow down to the master

I'm going to either wait till SP2 or the next OS because there are still too many quirks to Vista. I'm going to build a new PC in a couple of months and If I can't get hold of a copy of XP then it will have to be Vista.

I waited till SP2 for XP to get it because i wanted a OS that worked without any drama... most days I have it. When i get my PC shipped over I may reinstall windows as I haven't done it in a few years. I'm starting to find it quite theraputic.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:49 pm 
Pure sex on legs

gmar=GCHQ= wrote:
Well I have been using Vista for over a year and still like it. I can't see what all the fuss is about. It only a resource hog in the same way that Windows 95 was compared to Windows 3.1. Go ahead and use Windows 3.1 if you want. :smile: Seriously get decent hardware and it works quickly and smoothly.

I have 4GB and 64bit and even Windows + CSS uses 2.5GB of RAM so getting 4GB is a really good idea, anyone with less that that are probably the ones moaning about how slow it is.

Im in total agreement here tbh

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:15 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

Disco_jim wrote:
I'm going to either wait till SP2 or the next OS because there are still too many quirks to Vista. I'm going to build a new PC in a couple of months and If I can't get hold of a copy of XP then it will have to be Vista.

I waited till SP2 for XP to get it because i wanted a OS that worked without any drama... most days I have it. When i get my PC shipped over I may reinstall windows as I haven't done it in a few years. I'm starting to find it quite theraputic.

You saying you've had none stop drama with XP SP2?

Wow, never had any issues whatsoever with it... there was one problem with a sound device, the only other problem my whole system has is DC freezes it. Nowt else does, just DC - so assumed it's something wrong with the mod/game crashing without actually closing... and I cannot alt tab out of it in that state.

With regards to vista, only complaints (it's on my laptop) is that everything I do (creating new folders via an installer) requires admin permissions, so I'm constantly getting a black screen followed by "Do you wish to continue" etc. That's just a security measure, kinda like the linux "enter administrator password to perform this function".

Other than that, it took about half an hour to UNZIP an eclipse download... grr.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:20 pm 
Pure sex on legs

Yeah i've never understood the whole vista worldwide hatred, i love it (its on the lappy), a really good looking os, never had one single problem with it, literally nothing, good times :thumbl:

Emtu on gears: "I'm Harry Potter, I could like... kill you"

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:53 pm 
In youz forumz bein youz Pepsiz

Yup I ran Vista on my PC before the CPU busted and I loved it, granted i had a high spec pc but it ran fast and it never crashed once in the time i had it!
Only problems i ever had was games compatability, but thats nothing new with an OS is it tbf!
Looks good, Runs Good, Is Good!

Diablo-X =GCHQ= wrote:
you need to improve your jokes, making them funny is crucial,

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:41 am 
Decidedly uninterested

I'm waiting for the next version of Windows which should be a lot less of a trial run :smile: I'll be quite happy running XP with 2GB RAM until then, what with the total dearth of DX10 games and all...

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:58 am 
Humping a Super Model

I installed SP1 and it fixed my microphone!!! yayyy!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:07 am 
Bow down to the master

LeBeourfCurtaine wrote:
I'm waiting for the next version of Windows which should be a lot less of a trial run :smile: I'll be quite happy running XP with 2GB RAM until then, what with the total dearth of DX10 games and all...

Yeah same here, im pretty "in the know" with XP and im happy with it i dont have that much against vista but il wait for windows 7 since xp works, i do admit though that xp is they'r best os yet, due to it not having too many problems (lets face it operating systems will have problems) and vista has a bit too many for my liking. But maybe someday ill upgrade. Linux is for me at the mo, i like learning different ways of doing things so ubuntu (the os im using) is a good way to learn. :)

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:16 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

moo wrote:
Can someone please summarise in a few short sentences why vista is poo? I've never used or even seen it but god knows everyone seems to hate it.

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:32 pm 
Saints ftw!!

Chips=GCHQ= wrote:
With regards to vista, only complaints (it's on my laptop) is that everything I do (creating new folders via an installer) requires admin permissions, so I'm constantly getting a black screen followed by "Do you wish to continue" etc. That's just a security measure, kinda like the linux "enter administrator password to perform this function".

You can disable UAC easily enough.
I'm actually getting to like Vista - which scares me.

I sent my Linux guy at work to a Vista course, he came back saying he was surprised at how good it was, and how powerful stuff like the firewall was :shock:

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:42 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

If I turn it off, then what's the point of it being there? Isn't it a kind of "linux" like defence, whereby you need to be in sa mode to do some actions? (memory may be failing).

As for the firewall, surely it's not that good... they cannot bundle the firewall in with their system if it's comparable to others simply because won't it open up a HUGE amount of lawsuits? Dominant position yadda yadda yadda etc.

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:11 pm 
that was a stupid comment btw

Quote:
I sent my Linux guy at work to a Vista course, he came back saying he was surprised at how good it was, and how powerful stuff like the firewall was

musta been the first time he had seen one :)

at the end of the day i like to use the best tool for the job
there is no use trying to push water up a hill

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER