Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER

Post subject: R.I.P. Windoze...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:54 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

...long live 'Midori'?

DailyTech: Microsoft Details "Midori" Cloud Computing OS

"Microsoft prepares to make perhaps the biggest leap in its history...it is designing a non-Windows branded OS.

As Microsoft feels that no existing technology is sufficient for the OS's unique challenges, the new OS will be an entirely new design, built from the ground up. The system is codenamed Midori and it will be released sometime post-2010.

The new OS will focus on a rapidly growing field of computing -- cloud computing. Cloud computing -- or the movement to shift hardware and software, particularly storage, out of home PCs and into computing clusters -- is gaining significant momentum. Thanks to widespread high speed internet, an internet-connected box communicating remotely with hardware can perform visually approximately as well as a box with dedicated hardware. Further, by adopting a server-style hardware system for the cloud computing resources, costs will drop, the driving motivation behind the push to adopt cloud computing.

The internal documents reveal Microsoft to be focusing on this internet-centered aspect, emphasizing connectivity. The new OS is built on Microsoft Research's Singularity experimental OS, an entirely new OS codebase created but not yet publicly released. Midori will run on native hardware (x86, x64 and ARM), via hosting with Windows Hyper-V hypervisor, or even hosted within a Windows process of future operating systems. Microsoft's plans detail efforts to make Windows and Midori applications coexist and work together nicely, although some efforts are also being made purely to migrate applications to Midori. Midori will be built upon an asynchronous-only architecture that is built for task concurrency and parallel use of local and distributed resources. This will help it manage various hardware and software resources over the net. It will also feature a distributed component-based and data-driven application model, and dynamic management of power and other resources.

The new efforts focus on allowing applications to run in a variety of environments from P2P networks to traditional servers to cloud computing clusters. Microsoft will use high level abstraction of the hardware resources to help programs work together; a scheme Microsoft internally calls Asynchronous Promise Architecture. In order to allow for cloud-hosted applications, Microsoft is focusing on three development branches -- execution techniques, a platform stack and a programming model that can tolerate cancellation, intermittent connectivity and latency. The OS features a new stack and techniques, which will allow for extreme multi-threading, with more threads than ever before running simultaneously.

The new efforts by Microsoft attempt to take the very complex program of cloud computing resource management and multitasking and break them down into a simple interface that will be useable by programmers. The new OS will be slimmer with two kernels: a micro-kernel for low level and a second kernel for high level. It will also be more secure, with the components isolated and their communication channels more secure.

Ultimately, the programming and technical details of the new OS will likely matter little to the home user. What will matter is Microsoft is hoping to provide them with a more secure, cheaper OS+netbox option, which could possibly fall in the $250-$350 range. To add a bit of final perspective on Microsoft's groundbreaking new efforts its worth considering -- the last time Microsoft wrote an entirely new OS on this magnitude, there was no internet as we know it today. The changes that have come since are a key reason why Microsoft's decision to start from scratch may prove a savvy one."

Well, I'm impressed :smile: However, I fully agree with the top comment:

" With the likelyhood of bandwidth capped internet connections becoming reality in the next 5-10 years, cloud-computing would never survive in the consumer world. Also how many people would trust going across the internet to use certain applications as far as security and privacy are concerned?

In a business environment, it could work though.

Perhaps with this project though they will get some new ideas for improving Windows and making it thinner and lighter."

Midori sounds like it could make much greater and more efficient use of existing hardware, for example, all of the many thousands of PCs that we have simply running word. Could be interesting, around version 3.11 perhaps....?

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. Windoze...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:44 pm 
Humping a Super Model

That's all well and good, but will it be shineh? :P

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:40 pm 
Bow down to the master

EkO=GCHQ= wrote:
That's all well and good, but will it be shineh? :P

Probably and will have crysis-type specs required: 18 core CPU, 4Gb PCI-E 128x HDMI gfx card, 5Tb RAM, 500Pb (petabyte kids :lol: ) hard drive, requires it's own substation :lol:

Wasn't vista built from the ground-up allegedly? :shock:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:34 am 
call me J-Lo ;-)

Does this mean that Star Trek type pads that tell you what you want to know are closer?

Stay Frosty

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:37 am 
Made in Taiwan

SO19Firearms=GCHQ= wrote:
Does this mean that Star Trek type pads that tell you what you want to know are closer?

Like what color underware is Dido wearing, right now?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:24 pm 
Bow down to the master

SO19Firearms=GCHQ= wrote:

They're already here tbh, with one exception - they tell you waht you want to hear. :lol:
It's called the EGO Strokepad :thumbl: :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:24 pm 
Bow down to the master

So, we are going back to using terminals? :scratch:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:22 am 
Bow down to the master

Uhm. Midori is STILL just a research project, the article is wrong.

it also talks about Singularity, which is a research project for writing an operative system in mostly .NET code.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:14 am 
call me J-Lo ;-)

They move fast at Micro$oft.....or were you left out of the loop? :shock:

Windowz Cloud launch in 4 weeks

Stay Frosty

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:11 am 
Bow down to the master

So, if I get this right, the storage is in the "cloud"? :scratch:

Hate for the server to die :shock: BSOD lives on! :cheers: :o7:

And how will gaming work with Midori? :scratch:
Just don't run a pirated version of Midori or they block your storage by 100% :shock: and the server contains the proof :shock:

Sounds like they drank too much Midori down in the Micro$haft labs :shock:

IMO, cloud computing is NOT on my radar FULL STOP. As Beefy mentioned, security is a MAJOR issue along with .NET code. :shock: .NET has suxxored from the start so what's different now? :scratch:

Quote:
Microsoft prepares to make perhaps the biggest leap in its history...it is designing a non-Windows branded OS.

Hilarious! :lol: Why are they using .NET as a base? :scratch: Because it's M$-proprietary :lol:

And TWO kernels? :scratch: I'll put 30 quid on a cross-kernel admin elevation exploit in 2 years of release. :twisted:

Did I mention I dislike M$? :twisted: :D

SERIOUS QUESTION HERE: Why go Midori when you can PXE and VPN? And what's wrong with THIS combination? :scratch:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:50 pm 
Bow down to the master

TheMacOne=GCHQ= wrote:
SERIOUS QUESTION HERE: Why go Midori when you can PXE and VPN? And what's wrong with THIS combination? :scratch:

Hmm well of what ive seen VPN's are relativly slow but im guessing its going to be used in this case anyway due to the huge amount of security issues this new "os" is going to bring up.

PXE is normally just used for installing OS's via network isnt it, its not for actually using them?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:13 pm 
Bow down to the master

k, this will suck in ireland, our bb structure is rubbish and years behind most of europe,

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:46 am 
Bow down to the master

CoolMan=GCHQ= wrote:
k, this will suck in ireland, our bb structure is rubbish and years behind most of europe,

Agreed. We have bb limits/quotas for MOST residential plans so, I can see Midori being stopped before it starts :shock:

"Unlimited" means about 12Gb before being speed-limited to dial-up speeds or 64k (plan and carrier dependant) :evil:

Did u want asynchronous bb? $300+/mth thanks :shock: :evil:

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER