Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER

Post subject: Re: nvlddmvm
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:28 am 
Super User

I tried your msconfig thing Mac. There wasn't any of the items you listed there, except Nvidia Display Driver Service. I disabled that, restarted; but no fix. Renabled.

[QBS]Dr.Strangelove wrote:
psu rating?

and how is the 9800 gtx gxr typeR connected?

The max output is 500w. Not quite sure how to answer your 2nd question. I googled it but got lots of Honda Accords. :lol: What I can remember is that there were 2 ways of doing it, and mine is done in the less desirable way of those 2 (lots of connectors along the way, and so more resistance). Thing is, I haven't worried about that much as I had the error before I connected the new card in this way. (The 2 8600s did not have multiple connectors.)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:50 pm 
Bow down to the master

is the 9800 connected via a single 8 pin plug?

my brother has that 9800 sli thingy card :scratch:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:15 am 
Bow down to the master

Flit, the Coolman rig that I got has a 600W PSU and runs a dual 8800GTX (one card, dual heads) and has 6-pin power connectors. I'm in a similar situation as you atm.... I wan to to upgrade this system and put in other drives but can't as I have 4-pin drive (molex) power connectors to 6-pin PCI-E power conectors and have NO power connectors left. It is a 600w PSU.

The NEXT PSU you get SHOULD (depending on price) include 6 or 8 pin PCI-E connectors and/or cable management. My next one wil be a Thermaltake 800w PSU (w/h cable management - meaning, you connect WHAT YOU NEED to the PSU. Less cables 8)) so I can put another drive in, along with another optical drive. ;) :cheers:

Save the peanuts Flit and u/g the PSU. 8)

EDIT: DO you still have ONE of the 8 series gfx cards? If so, run that instead of the 9 series and see if the same issue occurs. Another diagnostic could be get a seperate drive, clean install the OS, clean install the game and play for a while. If the same thing happens, that rules out software (do that test with 1x 8 series gfx card).

If when running 1x 8 series gfx card the issue doesn't reappear (from either original system or clean install drive), then it would confirm most people's suspicion of a PSU issue. 8)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:11 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

I bought one of these to run Quad SLi on (2x 9800GX2's): Antec Quattro 1000, works a treat :thumbl: I'd shop around and pay close attention to the number of cables though - I've already maxed out on the plug in variety :?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:28 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

FlitGun =GCHQ= wrote:

The max output is 500w. N

Unfort max output is not an indicator of suitability either.

The max output is the power over, erm, is it 3.3, 5 and 12v rails? It's how much is actually on the 12v that matters more than anything else... and worst still, is the max peak power - not sustainable.

So when buying, bigger isn't necessarily better. Obviously you should check out more than just the overall wattage, but where the power is dispersed as well as what they rate the max sustainable power output is too.

:thumbl:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:18 am 
Bow down to the master

Chips, how many "bigger than 500W" PSU's have you found to NOT cut the mustard with the rig specified? :scratch:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:01 am 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

TheMacOne=GCHQ= wrote:
Chips, how many "bigger than 500W" PSU's have you found to NOT cut the mustard with the rig specified? :scratch:

I had a 500W PSU that didn't cut the mustard, it was a cheap own brand one and failed with a X1900 GT. That was just a single card.

The max wattage doesn't necessarily mean that the power is sufficient on the required rail, or sustained. I sense you're sceptical of this issue :P All I can suggest is to go and read up about insufficient PSU and power hungry GFX cards.

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » G33K'S CORNER