Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS

Post subject: computer being picky...
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:04 am 
Apprentice bacon herder

when i turn my computer on in the morning it always gets to the loading screen of XP and bluescreens then reloads to suggest goin into safe mode because windows has buggered up... but when i load it i also notice that my new HDD isnt registering with the computer when it first loads... but after i go to safemode and it loads and then restarts the new HDD registers with the motherboard and loads up fine... any ideas y this it? (and it started when i put the new HDD in...)

thanks

MD

Games: DC, CSS, BF2, Insurgency, Cod2, Cod4, Cod5, BFBC2, Surpreme Commander, Hidden Source, bfbc2/vietnam, Cod black ops, need for speeds (underground 1 and 2, prostreet, hot pursuit, most wanted), juiced 1 and 2, im sure theres more...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:23 pm 
First impression suggests maybe your PSU is a bit underpowered?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:42 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

Myx =GCHQ= wrote:
First impression suggests maybe your PSU is a bit underpowered?

how could i check it? and i think it is only because when i first turn on my computer the new HDD isnt being recognised so i need to sort it so it shows up when i first turn on...?

Games: DC, CSS, BF2, Insurgency, Cod2, Cod4, Cod5, BFBC2, Surpreme Commander, Hidden Source, bfbc2/vietnam, Cod black ops, need for speeds (underground 1 and 2, prostreet, hot pursuit, most wanted), juiced 1 and 2, im sure theres more...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:17 pm 
Bow down to the master

what is your psu? if you don't have one already a 500W+ psu will be plenty. an underpowered psu causes more problems than what you have at the mo, so check it pronto.

I have one of THESE

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:19 pm 
Bow down to the master

there also used to be a hard drive delay in some bios's so you could specify that the bios waits a few seconds longer for the drives to initalize, but this was generally on older systems.
But i agree that your power supply is prbably to weak.
I've leaned not to scrimp on the psu as it can make a big difference to the reliability of your system

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:35 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

well if and when i find out or get told how to check/change my psu w then i will do it lol

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:46 pm 
"Eric ya Fecker!"

should be a model number on the back, google it and find the specs.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:24 pm 
Bow down to the master

mine has a sticker on it saying the wattage...... there should be something like that on yours

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:09 pm 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

you do get peak and RMS on PSUs don't you....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:23 am 
Remember too, choose PSU brand before wattage. 330W Antec will kick the ass of a 550W Q-tec any day, plus it will last a hell of a lot longer.

600W Enermax Noisetaker here FTW 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:43 am 
Apprentice bacon herder

ok turned my computer on this morning and it refused to start so ended up disconnecting the new HDD and then it took a few times to start.

the details on the side of my psu are as follows:

HEC-350AR-PTF

AC INPUT 230Vac 50-60Hz 5A
DC OUTPUT +3.3v +5v +12v -5v -12v +5vab
MAX.A 28A 30A 18A 0.5A 0.8A 2A
+5&+3.3V COMBINED 200W TOTAL OUTPUT 350W

EDIT:

just turned my pc off reconnected the HDD and then it loaded up... but the hdd didnt register on load up but by the time i got to desktop it was working... so NO idea why it is being odd and what is causing my computer to bluescreen on load up... :?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:56 am 
Bow down to the master

Right then! you have a 350W psu which, if your running multiple hdds, optical drives etc, might lead to power issues. If you still had problems after removing the hdd then i suggest a new psu. Myx is right, brand is important, but it shouldn't cost you more than 50 qiud.

HERE is the website i got mine from.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:02 am 
Apprentice bacon herder

Disco_jim wrote:
Right then! you have a 350W psu which, if your running multiple hdds, optical drives etc, might lead to power issues. If you still had problems after removing the hdd then i suggest a new psu. Myx is right, brand is important, but it shouldn't cost you more than 50 qiud.

HERE is the website i got mine from.

thanks i will look into it right away... but on load up when/after it has crashed... it says that there is a problem with windows... and if i restore to last point where it was working (which would be the night b4 :lol: ) it works but if it was a power wouldnt it say/no load up at all?

as when its all connected up it turns on ok its just that it bluescreens on the windows loading screen... (and slappy if u come here and say that windows is crud... ur right so u dont need to say it...)

as i said in a edit onmy previous post... i turned my computer off... connected it up again and then turned it on and it worked fine... loaded up... (didnt realise the HDD was there though :? ) and it ran to desktop straight away no problems... and the the G drive (name of it...) worked and i could access all my files...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:23 pm 
PFY wannabe

TBH, the fact that your PC is behaving oddly now is a sign, go and sort it out before your problem becmoes much worse with a corrupted hard drive.

Expect to pay between 50 and 100 quid for a PSU which can be described as decent. (Mine was 87, a Hiper 580w modular jobbie).

GL :D

"I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself...."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:05 pm 
Bow down to the master

Myx =GCHQ= wrote:
600W Enermax Noisetaker here FTW 8)

yay! :roll:

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS