Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS

Post subject: Making USB Stick appear as a Floppy Driver
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:48 pm 
Super User

This is purely for my own reference because laptops can be a right pain sometimes and they request that you have a floppy driver (especially when installing winxp for external drivers.. :evil:) was wondering if this is possible to do?

I know you can boot from a USB Stick and other things, I put boot disk files onto it to fix some issues but WinXP installer was still fussy about it.

Anyone else managed to come up with a solution? If you've ever tried or bothered. :P

(Yes I have tried looking around on google and I don't seem to get what I'm looking for. :?)

Main reason for wanting to do this is because floppys are so damned slow and unreliable because they're so fragile it seems. And whats the point in buying a usb floppy drive if I'll rarely ever use it etc..? :P

Post subject: Re: Making USB Stick appear as a Floppy Driver
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:32 pm 
Saints ftw!!

floppy emulation from USB memory is a BIOS feature based on my experience.

I know HP & IBM servers offer it as a way of loading the F6 drivers, their desktops don't seem to have this option.
Then again, their desktops don't have floppy controllers or IDE in these days either, so USB is your only way to go.

Other than buying a USB floppy, you could slipstream your drivers into the boot CD :)

Post subject: Re: Making USB Stick appear as a Floppy Driver
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:07 pm 
Super User

Simon098 wrote:
This is purely for my own reference because laptops can be a right pain sometimes and they request that you have a floppy driver (especially when installing winxp for external drivers.. :evil:) was wondering if this is possible to do?

I know you can boot from a USB Stick and other things, I put boot disk files onto it to fix some issues but WinXP installer was still fussy about it.

Anyone else managed to come up with a solution? If you've ever tried or bothered. :P

(Yes I have tried looking around on google and I don't seem to get what I'm looking for. :?)

Main reason for wanting to do this is because floppys are so damned slow and unreliable because they're so fragile it seems. And whats the point in buying a usb floppy drive if I'll rarely ever use it etc..? :P

Thats how I got round it in the end, just inserted the drivers into the Win XP install disc. but it seemed very unpractical considering I was trying to get the right drivers etc... so it was a case of... are these the right drivers? *writes new disc* nearly ran out of discs, lol. But its always useful to keep the disc specifically for the laptop because it'll have all its drivers preinstalled (obviously not the latest... but something to use..)

What sort of options would I be looking for in the bios for Floppy Emulation? USB Zip drive or something? :?

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS