Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS

Post subject: abit // sata
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:13 am 
an unsung hero!

i know its the holidays but need a bit of help .... i have a second hand computer thats working fine but i got a shiney new 1tb sata hard drive for it and im trying to get the bios
to recognise it i have the drivers on the floppy that came with it and ive tried to use maxblast to load the drivers ...... basically it wont have it any suggestions b4 i go get a dma 1tb drive

Post subject: Re: abit // sata
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:05 pm 
that was a stupid comment btw

what you going to do with it when its finnish - is it just NAS space to dump films etc?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:33 pm 
Bow down to the master

depends if its a sata 1 motherboard or sata 2. You are supposed to be able to use sata 2 drives with sata 1 mobo, but it simply runs at the slower spec, however, in practice they arent always backwards compatible. But if you have any problems, then just get an sata 2 pci cars which will cost about 20 quid and that should sort it,

As for the drivers that came with it? you shouldnt need them at all, the only drivers that come with drives is usally for raid, or just format utilites, and besides drivers dont affect it not showing up in bios as it dosent load drivers till windows starts up

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:31 am 
an unsung hero!

happyslappy wrote:
what you going to do with it when its finnish - is it just NAS space to dump films etc?

nah it will be the computer i use for everything its a slight upgrade

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:32 am 
an unsung hero!

CoolMan=GCHQ= wrote:
depends if its a sata 1 motherboard or sata 2. You are supposed to be able to use sata 2 drives with sata 1 mobo, but it simply runs at the slower spec, however, in practice they arent always backwards compatible. But if you have any problems, then just get an sata 2 pci cars which will cost about 20 quid and that should sort it,

As for the drivers that came with it? you shouldnt need them at all, the only drivers that come with drives is usally for raid, or just format utilites, and besides drivers dont affect it not showing up in bios as it dosent load drivers till windows starts up

pci sata card sound like the trick .... thanks :cheers:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:44 pm 
an unsung hero!

ok chaps ........ ive read the book and it says the sata connections are basic and not sata 2
the drive is sata 2 ........... so i dont think that any amount of the correct drivers will help it work
now i have a couple choices ...1 geta 1tb dma drive. 2, get a sata 2 card ... apx 35 quid
now the card is saying it will only work at 150mbs as oposed to a propper sata 2 at 3gbs
or am i just putting money into a system that is old hat, and should dig deep and get a proper system ...................

or hs anyone got a pci .. not pci express sata card cheep?

yesssss ... thx

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:58 pm 
that was a stupid comment btw

ignore the 1.5/3gb you`ll never get that off the drives in a million years
if you wana play cod5 with us mate id just get a new mobo / cpu / mem / gfx now
infact- right this min

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:22 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

Option 3 - Buy a hard drive caddy and use it as external storage for all of your midget pr0n :thumbl:

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS