Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS

Post subject: System Won't Boot. At All. :(
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:22 pm 
Super User

Ok, so my PC is buggering up it seems. I can OCCASIONALLY get it to boot and it'll work fine, turn it off and it won't turn back on, take everything apart, put it back together, putting thing by thing in each time to test what the problem is... the answer, its completely random. I have NO IDEA whats causing the problem. Sometime I can unplug the gfx card and it'll boot, then it won't. I can take a PCI card out and it'll boot, then it won't.

I thought it might be the PSU, but at this stage in time, I have no idea. Whats the easiest way of testing a PSU...? At the moment its frustrating, because I have no idea why its doing it.

Anyone have an ideas? (I have reset the BIOS)

Oh and the PSU does feed power to the mobo (LED shines when the PSU is plugged in, but flickers quite a bit), but shorting the contacts on the poweron switch still does nothing. I have quite litterally disconnected EVERYTHING, and left just the mobo connected. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

As for those wondering what my PC spec is (if it helps):

Core 2 Duo E6400 @2.133GHz (No overclock)
Corsair XM2S 2GB PC26400
Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
Gigabyte 965P DS3
Enermax Liberty 620Watt
Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
Soundblaster fX ExtremeMusic

Any help would be GREATLY appretiated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: System Won't Boot. At All. :(
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:04 pm 
it is I! Diabetes man!

after it wonrt reboot..have you tried just removing the power cord untill the mobo power\stanby light goes out.... then plug in...see if it reboots then....
ive had that before...turn out to be a dodgy mobo...

the mobo light flkickers doesnt seem a good sign.... 8)

Went to a zoo, they only had one animal there, a dog............. It was a shitzu....

I’z leakin… bring amberlamps

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:51 pm 
Forever Alone

i'd go with trying what the tash is saying, but to speed things up a bit, pull the power cord out and hit the power on button on your case, this will get rid of any lekky left in the circuits (rather than just waiting for it to happen), then plug it back in and try booting.

----------------
Now playing: Download
via FoxyTunes

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:50 pm 
Super User

Wow, I posted that nearly a month ago. Yeah it seems to be either the mobo or the power supply. I think its more the mobo though because once I actually manage to start it, its fine, if the power supply was fooked then I guess I'd have more problems, but once its started, the power seems stable.

Oh well, I'll just leave it on until I can actually fix the problem, been on 3 weeks straight so far cause it usually takes me about 3 hours to get the damned thing back on and working...

As for the power cord thing, it doesn't help. :(

You quite litterally have to unplug components etc and its completely random. But yeah, the light thats on one of the PCI components flickers when its off. When its not flickering its fine, boots up when I short the contact (I think the button is a bit dodgy too, probs why its fooking my mobo up...)

Thanks for the posts, but unless I can get another PSU and Mobo to test with, its gonna be expensive, lol. Hope its not the PSU though as that was more expensive than the Mobo. :(

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS