Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS

Post subject: Re: graphics balls up?
 Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:51 am 
The Groundkeeper

maddog-easytarget=GCHQ= wrote:
Caspius=GCHQ= wrote:
Does it do the same whatever resolution you run it in?

never tried different resolutions... normally just play on what ever the game puts it on (think most games stock at 1024x768?) but my desktop runs in 1280x1024

What I mean't was try it at the lowest resolution with all effects switched off to see what happens.

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:16 am 
Super User

If its starting to happen in more games try reseating the gpu but my bet is on the gpu memory knackered, if oc'd at all try running at standard. If not probably new gpu time?

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:04 am 
Apprentice bacon herder

Caspius=GCHQ= wrote:
Caspius=GCHQ= wrote:
Does it do the same whatever resolution you run it in?

never tried different resolutions... normally just play on what ever the game puts it on (think most games stock at 1024x768?) but my desktop runs in 1280x1024

What I mean't was try it at the lowest resolution with all effects switched off to see what happens.

in game or on desktop?

oap wrote:
If its starting to happen in more games try reseating the gpu but my bet is on the gpu memory knackered, if oc'd at all try running at standard. If not probably new gpu time?

i dont like the sound of that :( as i cant afford a new one

Games: DC, CSS, BF2, Insurgency, Cod2, Cod4, Cod5, BFBC2, Surpreme Commander, Hidden Source, bfbc2/vietnam, Cod black ops, need for speeds (underground 1 and 2, prostreet, hot pursuit, most wanted), juiced 1 and 2, im sure theres more...

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:29 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

right turned pc on this morning was fine, logged on and it was ok, went out and came back 2 hours later, its froze, blue dots everywhere and restarted it, booted up and same thing happened before even finishing the log in... Think gfx card is screwed?

Games: DC, CSS, BF2, Insurgency, Cod2, Cod4, Cod5, BFBC2, Surpreme Commander, Hidden Source, bfbc2/vietnam, Cod black ops, need for speeds (underground 1 and 2, prostreet, hot pursuit, most wanted), juiced 1 and 2, im sure theres more...

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:14 pm 
The Groundkeeper

right turned pc on this morning was fine, logged on and it was ok, went out and came back 2 hours later, its froze, blue dots everywhere and restarted it, booted up and same thing happened before even finishing the log in... Think gfx card is screwed?

Does it do it in Safemode?

Sounds like a heating issue or the card is knackered, either the memory or CPU, are you 100% sure the fan is working correctly? Unless you try another card you can never be 100% sure as memory is paged from main into the GPU memory so if the main memory had developed a problem it may show similar symptoms.

Try this? http://download.cnet.com/Video-Card-Stability-Test/3000-18512_4-10418474.html

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:19 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

i took the 9800 from my parents pc and put it in mine... no problems...

added twist... i put mine in theres and it didnt have any problems... (but they have no games to test it further)

but i put it back in mine, the flickering has stopped... but i cant play games cuz its to much and stuffs up...

heating problems - temps are still like normal... they havent changed but i have dusted out my GPU...

will test other things later..

i have parents GPU for a swap out and a spare p5k mobo for swap out but have nothing else spare...

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:26 pm 
127.0.0.1 this is no place like home!

Just out of interest, what manufacturer is your card?

It's worth checking that out, because my 8800GTX had a lifetime warranty.
When it went tits up, I just asked for an RMA on their web site, sent it back and got a brand new 250 1Gb OC.

Even if it's not life time, I'm pretty sure it'll still be in warranty. That is of course, if you bought it brand new.

Not too many games, still not enough time. :( | Beefy is a Filthy Freeloader

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:14 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

RustyMags wrote:
Just out of interest, what manufacturer is your card?

It's worth checking that out, because my 8800GTX had a lifetime warranty.
When it went tits up, I just asked for an RMA on their web site, sent it back and got a brand new 250 1Gb OC.

Even if it's not life time, I'm pretty sure it'll still be in warranty. That is of course, if you bought it brand new.

its stock nvidia... so i'll have to have a look but there was no real paper work for it when it come cuz it was a bulk buy from ebuyer... got mobo, cpu, cpu cooler, gfx card, ram, from ebuyer so will have to find the invoice though this was 2 years ago so gonna be hard to find... :( but should also be on ebuyers website shouldnt it?

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:21 am 
that was a stupid comment btw

it does sounds like the memory on the card to me tbh
or the pcie slot has a loose connection

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:28 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

happyslappy wrote:
it does sounds like the memory on the card to me tbh
or the pcie slot has a loose connection

my parents graphics card worked fine in mine although theres actually clipped in... mine doesnt seem to clip into place on the pcie slot but it never has... never worked out y... will take pc apart at the weekend and have a run of the computer outside the case... and see if i can get it working and plugging all the way in...

my card is pretty wedged in, inside the case... had to hammer the shit outta the case to get the card to slot in... so it doesnt move :/

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:18 pm 
The Groundkeeper

had to hammer the shit outta the case to get the card to slot in

Well there's your problem...

Image + Image = Image

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:23 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

was more a part of the case not the whole thing... took the peice out... hammered, sanded down... put back in and it fit...

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:15 pm 
NaughtyBoy

:lol: :lol: :lol:

steal your parent 9800 and leave the dodgy 8800 in thier PC , they probably won't know the difference :twisted:

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:03 am 
Apprentice bacon herder

CoolHandLuke=GCHQ= wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

steal your parent 9800 and leave the dodgy 8800 in thier PC , they probably won't know the difference :twisted:

they would cuz they have a 22 inch wide screen and i have a 17 inch tft... i cry when i see them doing nothing on it and wish i could game on it XD but no im not stealing it

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:47 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

put card in parents pc again tonight and it finally gave up... so... phoning to see if warrenty is still there... if it is... replace... or new card...

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS