Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS

Post subject: graphics balls up?
 Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:33 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

graphics card...

my computer facks up and the screen goes to sleeper mode (as if my pc is shut off but my pc is left on) and i have to restart my pc... this only happens on 1 game... need for speed pro street... any ideas what it is? i recently updated graphics drivers but its done it before on older ones so dont believe that to be the cause... the graphics card working for other games would mean its not the card right? i dont get chance to see what the temp is on the card cuz im ingame and then it freezes, screen shuts off and so i cant even see what it was when crash... but on reload its down at 68 (like normal ish - depends if its a warm day...) mobo is different to when this first started happening as is the power supply... any clues?

graphics card 8800GTX
psu 700w (cant remember who makes it tbh - old one was 800w antec)
mobo p5q (old one was p5k)
ram 2gb corsair

Games: DC, CSS, BF2, Insurgency, Cod2, Cod4, Cod5, BFBC2, Surpreme Commander, Hidden Source, bfbc2/vietnam, Cod black ops, need for speeds (underground 1 and 2, prostreet, hot pursuit, most wanted), juiced 1 and 2, im sure theres more...

Post subject: Re: graphics balls up?
 Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:51 pm 
a norweigen silly curtain loving bitch

u are like a mini trev

http://twitter.com/tehdiabetesman

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:02 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

wowyouareacow=GCHQ= wrote:
u are like a mini trev

not so mini trev tbh

Games: DC, CSS, BF2, Insurgency, Cod2, Cod4, Cod5, BFBC2, Surpreme Commander, Hidden Source, bfbc2/vietnam, Cod black ops, need for speeds (underground 1 and 2, prostreet, hot pursuit, most wanted), juiced 1 and 2, im sure theres more...

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:23 pm 

maddog-easytarget=GCHQ= wrote:
u are like a mini trev

not so mini trev tbh

your right. more like taliban trev :D

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:30 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

u are like a mini trev

not so mini trev tbh

now for a helpful comment?

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:47 pm 

u are like a mini trev

not so mini trev tbh

now for a helpful comment?

A little googling told me a few things.

first off its an old game. second only 1 patch is out for it and thats 1.1 so if u dont have that then doooo eeeet

install SP3 for xp if u havent already dont so and knowing u, u havent <-- best tip for u

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:01 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

A little googling told me a few things.

first off its an old game. second only 1 patch is out for it and thats 1.1 so if u dont have that then doooo eeeet

install SP3 for xp if u havent already dont so and knowing u, u havent <-- best tip for u

old game yes... patched already... and i do have sp3 installed already...

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:25 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

true to form... pc now starts ballsing up on other games... just crashed graphically on supreme commander 2... game froze, came up with blue dots in groups of 3 in a triangle shape, then game minimized, came up with an error of nv4(or something similar) disp had to stop running and then my pc restarted before i could read it all and make a note...

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:10 pm 
The Groundkeeper

true to form... pc now starts ballsing up on other games... just crashed graphically on supreme commander 2... game froze, came up with blue dots in groups of 3 in a triangle shape, then game minimized, came up with an error of nv4(or something similar) disp had to stop running and then my pc restarted before i could read it all and make a note...

Is your graphix fan working correctly. have you tried overriding the standard fan setting so its full speed all the time, and have you made sure there's no hair blocking the fan.

Did you uninstall the old drivers and use driver cleaner before installing the new one?

Corrupt drivers are the most likely cause...

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:18 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

Caspius=GCHQ= wrote:

Is your graphix fan working correctly. have you tried overriding the standard fan setting so its full speed all the time, and have you made sure there's no hair blocking the fan.

Did you uninstall the old drivers and use driver cleaner before installing the new one?

Corrupt drivers are the most likely cause...

i cleaned the fan out not long ago (took top off and cleared the inside) done the fullspeed as soon as i got it... (though when i bought it - it idled at 50... now it idles at 68...)

i didnt use driver cleaner but i did reinstall them today so will give them a chance and then if it stuffs up again i will do that

more than likely hence reinstall of them :) but doesnt explain y it only does the black screen on 1 game and a freeze and feck up on another XD and y its done it on every reinstall ive done... 7 different harddrives and many more reinstalls and it did the same thing every time...

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:47 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

did a driver reinstall... didnt work... did the driver cleaner and then a reinstall... seemed ok... loaded up bfbc2... and i get...

something tells me that didnt fix it...

it was flickering loads before that... then i alt tabbed out and back in... and it went fine... then the game crashed about 45 seconds later forcing a reboot...

anymore ideas?

im gonna be installing a new os on my 250gb harddrive (vista or 7 - more likely 7) then install games onto that and use that for gaming and my other harddrive for files and college work... less temptation then... but would like this working...

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:56 pm 
Decidedly uninterested

Overheating...? :scratch:

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:55 am 
Apprentice bacon herder

LeBeourfCurtaine wrote:
Overheating...? :scratch:

nope. its not going any higher than it normally does... and has done since i got it... goes up to 86 at most... and temps for the card can go well above that (friend of mine had it up at 99 - overclocked) and it was fine... stock fan...

also temp apparently can go up to 150 according to some internet sources...

here

Quote:
Video card temperatures typically range from 40C to 80C. Most high end video cards such as the 78xx, 79xx, 88xx series typically display temperatures 50-70C idle and up to 80C-90C at load. The heatsink and fan assemblies attached to the video cards are specifically designed to reduce temperatures as much as possible.

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 am 
The Groundkeeper

Does it do the same whatever resolution you run it in?

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:19 am 
Apprentice bacon herder

Caspius=GCHQ= wrote:
Does it do the same whatever resolution you run it in?

never tried different resolutions... normally just play on what ever the game puts it on (think most games stock at 1024x768?) but my desktop runs in 1280x1024

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS