Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS

Post subject: PC failure
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:08 pm 
Ostracised!

i was playing wasteland 2 yesterday when all of the sudden the pc rebooted. thought it was a game bug, tried the game again, now it crashed even sooner. third time, wouldn't even load windows before rebooting automatically.

turned out to be BSOD 116 after trying safe mode, has to do with the video card usually. tried the gpu in a different computer, seemed ok. tried the much weaker gpu i switched it for in my computer, also no trouble.

so the psu then right? tried to use my old psu but it doesn't have an 8pin pci-e connector,... tried using two psu's but it wouldn't boot. fairly sure that's the problem though so i started a ticket at coolermaster. the psu has a 5 year warranty and it's only 4 years old so should be able to get a new one.

went back to put my gpu in the other pc since that seemed to work but now apparantly that's started showing glitches as well. tried installing nvidia drivers ... blank screen, won't show anything anymore as soon as the windows screen would normally show up. before that it's fine...

so it's the gpu after all then? or does the psu in the other pc just not have enough wattage to power the gpu?
650watt psu in the other pc to power an nvidia gtx580, my psu is 800watt. even the 650 watt should be fine just for idling i'd say?

SO, new gpu's then...
i'm looking at a gtx970, should be at least as good as my gtx580 without becoming too expensive right?
any other suggestions?

also, ... i'm not a patient guy so i'd rather get something great now than something greater in a few months, being stuck with nothing until then

Post subject: Re: PC failure
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:42 pm 
Ostracised!

feck it, i bought an asus gtx970. It had better fix the problem :lol:
My msi gtx580 will be 4 years old the first of may, a bit soon for it to die imho. :s :o7:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:18 pm 
that was a stupid comment btw

you dont play games anymore though :scratch:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:51 pm 
Bow down to the master

The 970 will be fine, just as good as the 580, but with a few more modern features.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:56 pm 
Ostracised!

i can enable some more graphics features now so all seems good :thumbl:

Quote:
you dont play games anymore though

which is why i don't want to spend too much :razz:

i ought to get on again aye, work leaves me pretty tired though so by the time any of you gits come on, i'm ready to go take a nap like the lightweight i am :scratch:

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » GAME/SOFTWARE/HARDWARE PROBLEMS