Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » MARKET PLACE

Post subject: What GFX Card...
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:55 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

So, plumping for a nice big upgrade. Whether to go AMD or whether to go Intel Core Duo - that used to be the question.

However, today (and for the past week), it's actually GFX cards that are making my head (and wallet) hurt.

Here's the thinking. DirectX 10 compliance, so an 8000 series nVidia surely?

But prices, performance and more. Originally i was opting for this one, at £134 (which I thought was stretching the budget as far as reasonable).
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(17160)XFX-GeForce-8600-GTS-256MB-DDR3-PCIE-DVI--675mhz.aspx

However, after doing last minute review reading, it's apparent that the limited 128-bits width of memory interface (I know NOTHING about it) when compared to the 8800 GTS versions. Naturally, they're more expensive, but apparently can get miles better FPS at around £180 quid (when in stock :/).
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(16579)INNO3D-GeForce-8800-GTS-320MB-DDR3-PCIE-HDTV.aspx

But now we are moving up to the stratosphere in price tags (for me, anyways). £180 nicker is coming close to double the price of a x1950 Pro (which does well, but isn't directX 10 compatible).
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(15335)Sapphire-Radeon-X1950PRO-256MB-DDR3-PCIE.aspx

So the question is, what's best value for the buck? I hate upgrading, to give you an indication - my gfx card is still a 9800 Radeon Pro 128Mb. It's a great card, but it can no longer service me in the por... games department.

So - what's best? Should i just buy a "fill in" card, to last a few years - like perhaps 18 months?
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(17156)XpertVision-GeForce-8600-GT-256MB-DDR3-PCIE.aspx

That's a cheap card, and it's been given a fairly good review (comparable to the 8600 GTS?)
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/426/

Or should I splash out over a TON more on a higher end card, hoping that I don't have to upgrade for 3-4 years instead?

I can read damned reviews all day long (actually, they're not that easy to find suddenly :/) but they only seem to pull you towards buying the top end cards. Reading forums, people seem to be right snobby barstewards as well, and if they can't get 100fps on the highest settings, then a card isn't worth squat... and they'll happily fork out £300 to just see that extra 20fps, or setting of AA.

I've got X3, Darkstar One, Space Force:Rogue Universe - all waiting to be played in their full graphics settings, and I can't really think of any amazing games that may come out which i hunger for (unless anyone knows of some awesome space sims upcoming?).

So, any advice from "normal" peeps is welcomed :)

Oh, and the annoying thing - PSU's.

What's actually powerful enough? Looking at this one, but when I check out the "rails" for 12V, it always seems LOW to me:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(11448)Antec-NeoHE-550W-Modular-ATX20-EPS12V-PSU.aspx

Would that be good enough to power any of the above mentioned cards?
Trying to build a rig, hoping to keep price low as possible...

The rest of the system:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInf ... ctID=14002 (AMD 4800)
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInf ... ctID=14050 (Asus M2N)
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInf ... ctID=14777 (2Gb Giel)

Also seagate drive, a dvd burner etc.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:56 pm 
Bow down to the master

firstly intel core duo gofasterstripeoptionalextraftw!

which one is entirely upto you, personally i'm after a xeon :shock: or two :shock: :shock:

gfx wise, i'm not that interested in dx10 (will get one when there is a game out there that i really want)
having spent 2 years with an fx5100 and played all the games i have now (apart from bf2) and still play,
personally i dont see much point in upgrading the graphics (currently have the the 7800GTX which i think will last me another year or so)

psu?

easy get an enermax at least 800 watt :shock:

dvd drive?

10 a penny

HDD?

get yourself a couple of WD40 Raptors :roll:

basically i dont think gfx cards are the 'be all end all' component(?) of a good system, not unless you have a lot of money, then in that case :arrow:

Dr.Strangelove - not really a gamer :shock:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:20 pm 
Bow down to the master

tbh i didnt read all the above posts but i did see 8600.......dont bother.

get a decent 8800gts 320/640.the 640 will allow for higher res.

and C2D over any amd :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:39 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

...flatline... wrote:
(too lazy to type To Be Honest) i didnt read all the above posts but i did see 8600.......dont bother.

get a decent 8800gts 320/640.the 640 will allow for higher res.

and C2D over any amd :)

Tis all about the budget you see, and since i've heard prices on the CPU's will be slashed again shortly (hopefully), i am not going to buy just yet...

However, budget means budget. I could splash out 300 nicker on a gfx card, but in a year - it'll be worth a ton fifty, and will only give me a few fps more than another one :P I am unlikely to be buying many new games at all... think the last games i bought were:
Spaceforce Rogue Universe, Darkstar One... erm, hmm. That's it for the past 12 months or so.

That's the reason I ask for input. I won't need to (unless another space sim comes out) run things at 1600 x 1200 with all the trimmings on very intensive games, so fully aware I may not require DX10 compatibility for a while yet... so suggestions to other cards that can run reasonably new games beautifully well are appreciated.

My systems are never for top end gaming, it's about getting as much as I can, for as long as I can... on the tightest budget I can - hence the range / variety I am looking at varies in price from cheapish at £80 all the way to (for me) v. expensive £180. The GFX card, coupled with memory, the bit I know the least about.

p.s I will not get 800W PSU. Don't need it, and don't wish to waste that much electricity either :lol: As for WD, they run hot - will stick with Seagate thanks :P Same for CPU, I won't be spending £150 on a CPU just because it gets higher results. I get what I need to run what I want for the foreseeable future. If it weren't for the fact the mobo would be vastly out of date, I'd stick with my P4 3Ghz instead :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:25 am 
I love this better than my other 'arf

a copuple of simple questions:

1) Is there anything that your 1950 cant do that you want it to currently?

2) Do you have or intend to get vista in the next 3-5months?

3) Do you intend to play games where you know the 1950 wont be good enough (or really want DX10 effects)?

if the answer to all of the above is NO then
Quote:
dont buy any DX10 card, first gen DX10 is very good in DX9 (8800 series), but many ppl have doubts about DX10, as no one knows much about it, the hardware isnt optimized to anything, just a 'wet finger in the air' effort.

gen two of DX10 will be here late Q3, Q4 (for Nvidia at least) and will bring some nice speed increases, cooler running/lower power consumption (a problem 8800 and x2900) and a refresh to the DX10 hardware side.

so imo its worth waiting and getting yourself an early xmas present.

If the aswer to 1 is Yes
Quote:
then for the love of god dont get a 8600 (any of them) your x1950 will be 5-10% behind the 8600, and so really not worth the money. If you are going for a nice speed increase then its a 8800 or nothing.

if the answer to 2 is Yes
Quote:
well then i can only guess that is means the answer to 3 is Yes as no one in their right mind would get Vista for any other than DX10. (quote for Chadk right there). OK so we all know crysis/hellgate london/age of conan/etc are coming and they will use DX10 and all should be good games (for reasons other than DX10) and many ppl will want to see them in all their glory.

then be prepared to spend money, from what has been so far, DX9 vs DX10 results in a 20-50% frame rate drop at the same settings.

so take age of conan, the devs say it will run like oblivion, so that means 70-100FPS on a 8800GTX @ a 20inch screen. but with DX10 that will mean 35-50FPS (still playable, but not great) no remember that a 8600 will get around 30-50FPS in oblivion DX9, then you can see that it wont be pretty when you turn on DX10.

Crysis and other games havent made such 'low' targets, so that means a 8800 series is a must for medium/high settings in DX10 on an average screen.

so all that comes back to, if you must upgrade now, then only one choice 8800. other wise wait for Q3/Q4 this year get the Penryn Cpu (refresh to the C2D with lower power requirements, lower heat and high speeds), even if you dont get a penryn cpu, the old conroe prices will drop like stones and the Gen 2 Dx10 cards, which again will mean cheaper 8800s.

hope that makes some sense

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:50 am 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

I haven't got an x1950 at the mo, just a 9800 radeon pro :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:36 am 
Thai lady boy

Well my core 2 dou with a x1950 runs games lie CSS with a more than adequate fps, one of the reasons I never bought anything more powerful GFX wise, not being much of a gamer.

Seasonic M12 PSU's are nice, silent and efficient.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:19 am 
Not the Air rifle tho :o(

Tbh, either get the x1950 pro or 7950gt or 8800GTS

cheapest to most expensive, the prices atm are a realistic reflection on how well the cards perform, apart from the 8500/8600 range which is still to expensive cos they suck :P.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:14 pm 
Bow down to the master

when its time and your ready to upgrade post your budget on here,that way we can try to get the best bang for your buc 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:26 pm 
Pure sex on legs

chips buy this months copy of "custom pc" its got a review of about 30 graphics cards at every budget the nvidia gts' either seem to be the cards that they reconmend :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:52 pm 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

...flatline... wrote:
when its time and your ready to upgrade post your budget on here,that way we can try to get the best bang for your buc 8)

I was ready to upgrade, with budget of £400-500 (preferably 400) now - but then someone posted this:
http://www.techpowerup.com/?31180

and i thought of waiting a little bit longer :P
Maybe see if i can't overclock the current card (never tried it at all).

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » MARKET PLACE