Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » MARKET PLACE

Post subject: finally
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:09 am 
Not first

got £1500 to spend on a computer so i need help!

can someone put together a good PC worth £1500!

i need everything.. (moniter.. mouse and keyboard as well)

only condition i want 2 gig of ram :)

ps the money i save will either go towards the community or b33rs on me next alton soits in your best interest to save me some :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:57 am 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

Yok.....

OHHH, Antec Sonata III is out \o/

CASE & PSU Antec Sonata III with 500W PSU £79.88

MOTHERBOARD MSI P35 (latest) chipset) £66.66

CPU Intel C2D E6750 2.66GHz £119.06 (this is significantly cheaper than the extremes and the quads, and offers comparable, sometimes better performance stock - think what you can do if you overclock!)

CPU COOLER Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro £11.33

GPU MSI 8800GTX £379.47

MEMORY Corsair XMS2 1066MHz 8500 etc etc 2 gigabytes thereof £117.12

HARD DRIVE Samsung SpinPoint 500GB 16MB cache SATAII £60.83 AWESOME HARD DRIVE

DVD NEC All singing all dancing SATA drive £17.14

This comes to a grand total of £851.49

Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse are largely your choice. I'll put a couple of my favourites for the monitor, but keyboard I use a £10 MS keyboard and love it :P

Haven't included soundcard - your best bet with that is to search round for a refurb audigy 2 on ebay - owt more isn't really worth it imo

MONITOR -

I fecking LOVE LG monitors - I have a 17" and 22" here, and both are beautiful and as of a couple of a days ago I have NO dead pixels - thats no dead pixels out of over 3 million...

This is the 22" I have http://scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=625338 about £230, but dear god DON'T buy it from scan...

and the current version of the 19" http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=587956 sort of, about £175, likewise don't get it from scan...

but read reviews, make your own mind up - I like LG as much as I like antec, so my opinion is biased :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:45 pm 
loads of choice at that price mate (*MacPro cough*).....

I'll leave this to the experts- but seeing as your going to have change - why not get a wacom pad/pen - espectially since your so into your gfx :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:53 pm 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

Mac pro - a mere twice the price :P

For £1500 you could afford another file hosting style server...I have one but don't use it...probably should do summat with it...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:54 pm 
Thai lady boy

Colt Seavers=GCHQ= wrote:
loads of choice at that price mate (*MacPro cough*).....

I'll leave this to the experts- but seeing as your going to have change - why not get a wacom pad/pen - espectially since your so into your gfx :)

Yep graphics tablet rocks, try and get one bigger than the A5 job though if you have space and money.

Apart from that 1.5K for a PC worlds mollusc of your choice really.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:05 am 
Not first

elbow=GCHQ= wrote:
Yok.....

OHHH, Antec Sonata III is out \o/

CASE & PSU Antec Sonata III with 500W PSU £79.88

MOTHERBOARD MSI P35 (latest) chipset) £66.66

CPU Intel C2D E6750 2.66GHz £119.06 (this is significantly cheaper than the extremes and the quads, and offers comparable, sometimes better performance stock - think what you can do if you overclock!)

CPU COOLER Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro £11.33

GPU MSI 8800GTX £379.47

MEMORY Corsair XMS2 1066MHz 8500 etc etc 2 gigabytes thereof £117.12

HARD DRIVE Samsung SpinPoint 500GB 16MB cache SATAII £60.83 AWESOME HARD DRIVE

DVD NEC All singing all dancing SATA drive £17.14

This comes to a grand total of £851.49

Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse are largely your choice. I'll put a couple of my favourites for the monitor, but keyboard I use a £10 MS keyboard and love it :P

Haven't included soundcard - your best bet with that is to search round for a refurb audigy 2 on ebay - owt more isn't really worth it imo

MONITOR -

I fecking LOVE LG monitors - I have a 17" and 22" here, and both are beautiful and as of a couple of a days ago I have NO dead pixels - thats no dead pixels out of over 3 million...

This is the 22" I have http://scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=625338 about £230, but dear god DON'T buy it from scan...

and the current version of the 19" http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=587956 sort of, about £175, likewise don't get it from scan...

but read reviews, make your own mind up - I like LG as much as I like antec, so my opinion is biased :P

£851 :shock: i shall be getting that within the next 6 weeks cheers for the info bilbo :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:40 am 
I'm ghey 4 teh Hoff!

Monitor - go to microdirect.co.uk, and from there - get the same stuff but cheaper, and get a 22" widescreen LG monitor, with 2ms response dvi etc for only 189 nicker.

BARGIN!

You can probs get the whole system cheaper than elbow's above, but with saving of nearly 60 quid on monitor too ;)

microdirect.co.uk

Deliveries usually come within 24-48 horus. Ordered mine one day (morning note) and next day it arrived at 4pm (standard delivery, so don't bother paying extra for fast stuff - it may arrive 2 horus earlier at best!).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:12 am 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

I found ebuyer to by cheaper than everyone else, but its swings and roundabouts I guess....teh one thing ebuyer does have is excellent returns policy, IE they really don't care....just send it back and you get a new one, no questions asked :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:42 pm 
Bow down to the master

get the evga gfx card instead of he msi.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/120933

also ge one of hese instead of he psu you get with a case.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114945

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114941

for an extra 45 quid you could have the q6600 (i would get one of these for sure :) )

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124869

that msi board is only 800mhx memory so you need to get 800 not 1066.

8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:42 pm 
Bow down to the master

Chips wrote:
Monitor - go to microdirect.co.uk, and from there - get the same stuff but cheaper, and get a 22" widescreen LG monitor, with 2ms response dvi etc for only 189 nicker.

BARGIN!

You can probs get the whole system cheaper than elbow's above, but with saving of nearly 60 quid on monitor too ;)

microdirect.co.uk

Deliveries usually come within 24-48 horus. Ordered mine one day (morning note) and next day it arrived at 4pm (standard delivery, so don't bother paying extra for fast stuff - it may arrive 2 horus earlier at best!).

it will most likely have cheaper parts in it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:44 pm 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

the antec PSU is absolutely fine, no nead whatsoever to change it :evil: :twisted: :P

also, I chose the MSI graphics a) because its the same as the mobo hence less likely to be problems (not that there should be any but hey ho) and b) MSI > EVGA as a brand afaik imo etc etc...its only £20 :P

as for the CPU, again I checked the benchmarks and it offers very little increase for that £45 - feel free to upgrade if you want, I was just speccing for value as well as power

see http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu-chart ... -2351.html and http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/TAKING-TH ... -2373.html

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:18 pm 
Bow down to the master

hes got 1500 to spend :lol:

future games and apps will use all 4 cores so if it were me i would get the quad.

i would also get sli 8800 gtx's if i had 1500 to spend and a better mainboard.*edit* forgot he want a monitor to :roll:

the corsair psu is a better psu and if hes got the money to spend on better parts then he should.

8)

Last edited by flatline=GCHQ= on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:29 pm 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

corsair make memory...its what they do

antec make power supplies (and cases)....its what they do....

its like buying a digital camera from a company that didn't make film cameras.

hell, I'm sure its good, but there's nothing wrong with the antec - its very efficient, its very reliable, and probably quite quiet. there's a difference between buying a good computer and wasting money on an excessive computer. why not just buy an alienware while you're at it :roll: :P

as for the CPU - again, its his choice, but I've barely seen _any_ programs that actually use two cores efficiently, let alone two dual core processors...and until they become mainstream then I doubt will see any quad core programs (bear in mind its not a true quad core)...by which time he'll have upgraded 5 times anyway

goddamit I want my b33r at alton! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:31 pm 
Bow down to the master

lmfao :lol:

the corsair has 3 12v rails vs 2 on the antec (im a corsair psu fanboy i know :lol: )

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:13 pm 
Humping a Super Model

Good stuff but id be inclined to Raid up a couple of smaller hard drives for your c partition and get a larger one for storage

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » MARKET PLACE