Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » MARKET PLACE

Post subject: New Monitor Advice..
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:28 pm 
Not the Air rifle tho :o(

Ok so looking for a 22" monitor, so far found this one looks good, not 22" but close enough.

Was pretty cheap, good reviews etc. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132860

I suck at monitor knowledge though so any help be greatly received :D

Currently using the SM 732n Pebble, but it's only 17" :( I want bigger :D

Post subject: Re: New Monitor Advice..
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:43 pm 
Pure sex on legs

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143050

another good one at a nice price.

things to look for are

resolution (the higher the sharper the picture providing the game/video supports it but the more strain it will put on your gfx card - i have a 8800GTX and can only play games at the native resolution of 1680*1050 sometimes)

response time - 2ms is the best i have seen, prevents blur on fast moving images and slower screen can ghost abit

inputs - do you want vga or dvi or both?

contrast ratio - the higher this is the better colour definition you will get on the screen.

Top suggestion - go to a big p.c world or something and find a screen you like, go home and buy said screen from net at cheap :)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:22 pm 

Bodopo =GCHQ= wrote:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143050

That one has Contrast Ratio 10000:1 DFC (Original 700:1) compared to the 1000:1 original on the monitor I picked out, will that be a problem?

Thanks for input :D

Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:29 pm 
Apprentice bacon herder

Diablo-X =GCHQ= wrote:
That one has Contrast Ratio 10000:1 DFC (Original 700:1) compared to the 1000:1 original on the monitor I picked out, will that be a problem?

Bodopo =GCHQ= wrote:
contrast ratio - the higher this is the better colour definition you will get on the screen.

think it wont b a problem but a plus :)

Games: DC, CSS, BF2, Insurgency, Cod2, Cod4, Cod5, BFBC2, Surpreme Commander, Hidden Source, bfbc2/vietnam, Cod black ops, need for speeds (underground 1 and 2, prostreet, hot pursuit, most wanted), juiced 1 and 2, im sure theres more...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:37 pm 

Anyone else got any suggestions? Quite a bit of money I'm about to spend lol..

Where's Bilbo when you need him

Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:07 am 
Comin' outta Gallifrey

hok, quick point of clarification on the 10,000:1 contrast ratio - it's most likely a dynamic one, which means it's incomparable to other ones, but is more likely to be about 3000:1 (basically this means that the monitor backlight will vary, thus increasing the total available range of brightnesses, but not the simultaneous range)

aside fromt that, samsung and LG appear to be the current market leaders, and it boils down to what connections you want on the back and which looks prettiest. just make sure you go get one with DVI. going to your local pc world/currys etc is a good idea, just to get an idea of build quality, and they do -occasionally- have good deals (my lg m228wa came from pc world - it was one of the very few stores in the uk that actually stocked them)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:27 am 

elbow=GCHQ= wrote:
hok, quick point of clarification on the 10,000:1 contrast ratio - it's most likely a dynamic one, which means it's incomparable to other ones, but is more likely to be about 3000:1 (basically this means that the monitor backlight will vary, thus increasing the total available range of brightnesses, but not the simultaneous range)

aside fromt that, samsung and LG appear to be the current market leaders, and it boils down to what connections you want on the back and which looks prettiest. just make sure you go get one with DVI. going to your local pc world/currys etc is a good idea, just to get an idea of build quality, and they do -occasionally- have good deals (my lg m228wa came from pc world - it was one of the very few stores in the uk that actually stocked them)

Ok thanks, got a reply on ebuyer forums about it too and he recommended 20" given it's the same resolution, so I'm thinking about this one now Pebble 20"

Board index » HELP AND ADVICE » MARKET PLACE